Simulation is a widely applied tool to evaluate the behavior of systems and processes. Advanced simulation software and high computational capacity available in present days allow the detailed inspection of complex systems, which concludes in efficient decision support. Discrete event modeling and simulation of manufacturing and logistics systems provide the following features:
- analyzing an entire system or process,
- discovering weaknesses, e.g. identifying bottlenecks or unused capacities in a system,
- understanding the correlation between the processes of information and material flow,
- evaluating different solutions, what-if scenarios,
- analyzing the effects of uncertainty on a systems behavior, e.g. failures, changes in sequence.